Immersion blender or stand up blender
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ medium yellow onion , chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small fennel bulb, top removed and bulb chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 14.5 ounce can whole skinned roma or plum tomatoes plus juices
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup water , to "rinse" can
- ½ cup jarred roasted red peppers, chopped
- ¼ cup half and half creamer
- fresh basil leaves julienned for garnish
- Set a 3-quart pot over medium heat and melt butter. Once hot, add chopped fennel and onion and cook until soft, about 10 minutes2 tablespoons unsalted butter1/4 medium yellow onion1 small fennel bulb
- Add garlic and spices and cook another minute.1 clove garlic1/2 teaspoon salt1 pinch red pepper flakes1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Add tomatoes with their liquid, tomato sauce, water, roasted red peppers and simmer covered 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender or stand up blenders to puree. Run through a sieve if desiring a thorough smooth texture. Stir in half and half.14.5 ounce can whole skinned roma or plum tomatoes plus juices8 ounce can tomato sauce1/2 cup water
- Serve with a garnish of chopped basil or freeze in single-serving batches.
Instant Pot instructions
- Set 3-quart Instant Pot to normal sauté and add butter. Once hot, add onion and fennel and sauté about 5 minutes. Hit cancel and add seasonings. Stir for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes in their juices, tomato sauce, water and roasted red pepper. Secure cover and manually set to pressure cook on HIGH for 5 minutes. Allow slow release.
- Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Mix in half and half. Garnish with fresh julienned basil leaves.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 2006mg | Potassium: 1596mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 1748IU | Vitamin C: 59mg | Calcium: 207mg | Iron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @SmallerDishes or tag #SmallerDishes!Pin Recipe Share Tweet Email