8 inch cast iron skillet
- ½ cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- ½ cup medium grind cornmeal
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup milk of choice
- 1 medium egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 handful frozen corn (optional)
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese (optional), shredded
- ½ jalapeño (optional), seeded and minced
- Set oven to 400 degrees and grease an 8-inch cast iron skillet or cake pan, if skillet is not available.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the first 5 ingredients together.1/2 cup all-purpose unbleached flour1/2 cup medium grind cornmeal1/4 cup granulated sugar2 teaspoons baking powder1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Make a well in the center and add milk, egg and melted butter. With a rubber spatula, gently combine until just mixed.1/2 cup milk of choice1 medium egg3 tablespoons butter
- Fold in any or all of the optional ingredients and pour into skillet or cake pan. Tip: adding any or all of these will absolutely enhance flavor!1 handful frozen corn (optional)1/4 cup cheddar cheese (optional)1/2 jalapeño (optional)
- Bake 25 minutes until top is golden brown and toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool a few minutes then slice and enjoy.
- Nutritional facts: calculation not including optional ingredients.
- Cooking tip: To preserve freshness and longevity, store cornmeal in an airtight container in the freezer. It should keep 2 years this way.
- 2% milk was used to test this recipe.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 197kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 557mg | Potassium: 109mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 19IU | Calcium: 161mg | Iron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @SmallerDishes or tag #SmallerDishes!Pin Recipe Share Tweet Email